Tuesday, December 12, 2006

So children get their expected Sikh heroes

Do you know a Sikh doctor who excelled through medical school and landed a great position at the local hospital? She/He works 20 hour shifts most of the days?

Do you know any Sikh teachers who have worked hard in their fields and moulded millions of tender lives for good?

Do you know of any great Sikh scholars who have spent their lives researching on the subject and helping educate the world of the rich history?

...and the series of those questions can run on for every field that there is in this world. And the answer is that we all know enough of Sikhs in every single field who've contributed in an unmatched and significant way! Yet, they are not the heroes that our children aspire to become like when they grow up. They are not the models of motivation whose posters hang in their rooms and lockers!

I always found it a little sad. But that is reality. Our dreams are always larger than life and somewhere the unreachable makes to the top of the list. The lack of those modern Sikh heroes were one of the strong missing links in inspiring its children to keep the faith and be proud of it - but finally we seem to be getting closer!



I'm sure like other heroes, Monty Panesar does not need introductions! He is the first turbaned Sikh Cricket player for the team of England. This is a modern day Sikh hero. I learnt about him on TV and when I opened my ears, he happened to be the talk of many Sikh children whether or not they were interested in Cricket.

It is such a delight to offer kids someone they'd like to be like when they grow up - offering them that larger than life dream of being someone invaluable to the nation that they belong to and bring grace to their entire global community!

May God bless our new Sikh heroes :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous satvinder said...

Um... I really struggle with this one because yes I understand we have all at some point looked to others for inspiration and direction... but I also think it's important to teach children that it's really important for them to be themselves. It's important to encourage kids to develop on their personal skills [which I believe they start to acquire before they even become aware of role models] teach them to excel in their chosen fields but somewhere someone has to let kids know that "it's okay just to be themselves and actually it's better to just be themselves, because they are unique." [I think you may already have meant this in some of the things you said]

Absolutely; congratulate and encourage those who have excelled in their chosen fields but hey let's not perpetuate the culture of stardom which is heavily facilitated and hyped by the media. For me the moral of your story is... don't allow your kids any modern posters in their bedrooms (",) [haha my mom would love me for saying that!]

As for Heros... we have Ten… and We have Guru Ji who tells us about the ONE. I dunno, maybe I’m just cynical about modernity as we know it.

Sorry for being negative and I'm sorry if I missed something in your post.

Love, sat

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Satvinder Bhenji. Just be yourself and as for Heros...who can inspire us more than Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger upinder kaur said...

Good post ss!
Though I would like to say a lot but i feel I may end up being misunderstood :)
Sikh history is full of heros...
Monty is no nowhere near them and I hardly consider him a hero.Please excuse me for saying it but doing anything for money is no heroism.
Rest of your post is very nice!
I also agree with Sarvinder and anonymous both

Friday, December 15, 2006 9:06:00 AM  
Blogger SikhsRus said...

Wish you a peaceful, happy, healthy, prosperous, and holy new Year! Waheguru bless!

Saturday, December 30, 2006 6:54:00 PM  
Blogger Sikhi Seeker said...

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Sikhsrusji - I cannot seem to be able to find either your email address or be able to comment on your blog - I'd like if you can send me your email address at wwa4me@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Sunday, December 31, 2006 5:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Khalid Iqbal said...

All thee the Sikhs who fought the Moguls,Afghans, and British invaders were heroes, and there number runs in millions. Sikhs are the Nation that makes us Punjabis Proud to be Sons of the Soil. It is High time we stop looking for our root in Mongolia or Middle-East.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home